Sunday, October 8, 2023

Tweets for Tweets (7): My Favorite Bird Photos July 2022- Early October 2023

It's been a busy 12 months as we head into the 2023 holiday season, and this blog suffered the consequences. Not that I've been lazy, mind you. Just a little distracted.

I've worked on several white paper topics for Carrier, including a celebration of the 100th anniversary of the centrifugal chiller. Carrier is 120 years old and reinventing itself, which is a fascinating process to watch (and cheer on).

I've also been writing for the Old Colony Historical Society blog. Articles include: 

I also got to be an early reader of Bill Hanna and Katie MacDonald's nearly-published book, a fascinating history of the Taunton River. It's a work of art, and I have yet to see all the archival pictures in the completed book.

Both King Philip's War and Innovation on Tap book talks and speaking engagements have picked up, and that's been fun. 

I've also been writing bunches of essays for our Family Tree Maker database, and one in particular to my family that summarizes fifty years of genealogical research. 

I started essays on the Boxford match factory and researched ideas for three possible books, none of which panned out--but it was good work.

Oh--- I almost forgot. :) We were blessed with our first grandson, Theodore Schultz Lindquist. I have re-learned my Raffi lyrics, how to change a diaper, and where the best swings are located. It's. been. the. greatest. thing. since. the 1990s. I haven't taken Theo to Anawan Rock yet, or told him about Willis Carrier's "Rational Psychrometric Formulae" or the mistake Eli Whitney made in his cotton gin business plan, but soon. However, I did build few books for him on Shutterfly, including one to prepare him for birding.

My pig continues to behave. I even met a gentleman on my last Mass Audubon trip who had a porcine valve inserted in 2008 (thirteen years before me), and he thinks he's got another five years before the pig konks out. I was hoping for a decade of steady oinks, so that news was very, very encouraging.

Our couples book club passed 22 years and 162 books, with Barbara Kingsolver's Demon Copperhead becoming one of my all-time favorites.

As for birding, I've hit the usual local hotspots, running my life list up to 725 species. I also 

  • Traveled to Block Island with Mass Audubon earlier this month, adding a Buff-breastedSandpiper and a Clay-colored Sparrow
  • Birded a little on Star Island (Isle of Shoals) as part of a King Philip's War book talk, getting to spend time with one of my favorite archaeologists and historians, Dr. Emerson Baker
  • Bay View, August 2023, one of the
    best handbell concerts all year
    Visited Rocky Mountain National Park last summer (while babysitting for a Taylor Swift concert) and was lucky to add a Violet-green Swallow, Mountain Chickadee, Pygmy Nuthatch, Mountain Bluebird, Western Tanager, Spotted Towhee, Black-chinned Hummingbird, and a Broad-tailed Hummingbird. That collection is big-time stuff for an Easterner!
  • Birded around Bay View in Petoskey, Michigan (though I am habitually three weeks late visiting Hartwick Pines to see a Kirtland Warbler), while my lovely and talented wife played handbells
  • And birded the Finger Lakes (including Montezuma, where we spotted a Trumpeter Swan) with a visit to Cornell's birding center last November.

Here are some of my favorite bird photos taken during that period. First, from the aforementioned Finger Lakes:







And then, a stop at Cornell's lab (an amazing facility where the staff was most accommodating) and the surrounding Sapsucker Woods:







Yes, these two are Ivory-billed Woodpeckers.




And here are my most recent bird photos in the order that they appear on my hard drive, July 2022 to early this month, more or less:










Yes, this is confusing.









































We're moving into fall now. Cooler temperatures. Pumpkins. Vince Guaraldi. The Topsfield Fair (today). An amazing Thanksgiving planned. The best time of the year. A 40th wedding anniversary arrives in less than a year. And the 350th anniversary of King Philip's War is just around the corner. Lots and bells and birds, rocks and centrifugal chillers, and lots of swinging and building snowmen to be done between now and then.


2 comments:

  1. The barred owl is my favorite picture; they are frequent visitors to our neighborhood, and I usually hear them calling back and forth during my early-morning (i.e. still dark) time of peace on our back porch. They are shy of being seen, but do have a sense of the theater -- one glided right over our heads when our five-year-old granddaughter was visiting, and she still counts that as one of her best moments.

    The horned lark has the best expression.

    The wood duck shot is amazing.

    If you tell me that's a Cooper's hawk, I'll ask if any of your ancestors lived in Salem. But I don't think it is. Clever picture, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! That's a Red-tail Hawk on the Cooper's stone. Otherwise, I would have sent the image to National Geo. :) We have a lot of "Who cooks for you?" going on in our neighborhood as well.

      Delete